Blackberry | What is Blackberry Fruit | Benefits of Blackberry Fruit | Blackberry Fruit Juice | Uses of Blackberry Fruit | Nutritional Value of Blackberry
The blackberry is an edible berry in the Rubus genus and the Rosaceae family. The fruit are botanically termed an aggregate fruit and they are produced on plants that typically have biennial canes and perennial roots. Blackberries and raspberries are also called caneberries or brambles. It is a widespread, and well known group of over 375 species, many of which are closely related apomictic microspecies native throughout the temperate Northern hemisphere and South America.
The blackberry fruit is an aggregate fruit that is composed of many smaller fruits called drupes. A drupe is a type of fruit in which the outer fleshy part surrounds a seed. Another example of a drupe is the peach.
There are two types of blackberries, erect and trailing. The primary difference is the growth habit of their canes. Erect blackberry fruit types have stiff, arching canes that are somewhat self-supporting. Trailing blackberries, also called dewberries in the East, have canes that are not self-supporting.
Erect blackberries are more cold-hardy than trailing types. However, you can grow trailing types in colder areas if you leave the canes on the ground in the winter. All blackberries plants are perennial, with roots living for many years.
Blackberry blooms from mid to late June. Blackberry fruit start ripening toward the middle of July. They are small, green, hard, and sour at first, becoming larger, and when fully ripe, juicy and sweet. Ripe and unripe berries frequently appear on the plants at the same time. Everyone loves the delicious blackberry fruit, and blackberries of one kind or another can be found throughout the United States.
What are the Health Benefits of Blackberry ?
1. Prevents breast and cervical cancer - Any cancer which is prevented is a good thing. Breast cancer and cervical cancer is always a fear of women since there is always a big risk to them. By eating blackberries, you can prevent this happening. Cancer is a deadly disease if not treated will kill.
2. Strengthening of blood vessels – There are many blood vessels in your body. The more centered blood vessels which are the most concerned around the heart. With healthy blood vessels, you can prevent heart disease and strengthen your eyesight. Everyone can improve their eyesight. By eating blackberries, you are able to improve your vessels and help out your body in many ways.
3. Relief from intestinal inflammation and diarrhea – This is the quick relief strategy that blackberries offer. For that Mexican dinner that you ate and now regretting, take some blackberries and relieve your intestinal pain and diarrhea. You will feel better for doing such a simple task.
4. Blackberries have been a source of high antioxidants to prevent many diseases and disorders.
5. The high tannin content, and the resultant antiseptic properties, of blackberries makes them good for tightening tissues as well as treating minor bleeding.
6. Mild infections, like sore throats and mouth irritations, can be treated with the help of blackberries.
7. Blackberries have been used to alleviate hemorrhoids also.
8. Regular consumption of blackberries has been seen to delay the process of ageing.
Nutritional Value of Blackberry Fruit:
|Nutrient||Value per 100 grams||% Daily Value|
|Fiber, total dietary||5.3 g||21%|
|Sugars, total||4.9 g|
|Calcium, Ca||29 mg||3%|
|Magnesium, Mg||20 mg||5%|
|Manganese, Mn||0.6 mg||32%|
|Copper, Cu||0.2 mg||8%|
|Potassium, K||162 mg||5%|
|Sodium, Na||1 mg||0%|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||21 mg||35%|
|Vitamin A, IU||214 IU||4%|
|Vitamin K, µg||20 µg||25%|
|Folic acid, µg||36 µg||9%|
|Carotene, beta||128 µg||ne|
Powered by Facebook Comments